Tuesday 8 July 2008

Giving Directions

Remember the last time you were at the mercy of someone else's for direction?

I know that giving fool-proof instructions is a necessity but I didn't expect this. Walking down Dupont Circle and looking for Massachusetts Avenue, I looked around for a helpful soul under this burning heat. A blonde lady, all geared up for a long jog and more, come to my rescue. When asked where Massachusetts Avenue was, she responded "See it is near 15 St", I nodded at this point listening very attentively. 'We are now at 18th St', the native explained, "After 18th, comes 17th street. Then, after 17th street comes 16th street. Then after 16th street, comes 15th street.", she waved her hands in mid air as she explained the row of streets to follow. At this point, I was just staring at her hands and trying really hard not to grin.

We thanked her for her help, wanting to get on with our way. As we did, she turned around and asked "Did you get all I said?"

2 comments:

Gilahi said...

Well, did you?

Anonymous said...

She probably figured you were just another daft tourist . . . you know, since you didn't know where Mass Ave is on Dupont Circle.

Don't get too down on the native for assuming you needed it spelled out.